I made this recipe up over the weekend to take to a friend's house, who had a baby in October. She is eating mostly dairy free due to her son's reflux and her husband is eating mostly gluten free. This recipe is both, and it's delish!
1 cup quinoa (rinsed with cold water - don't skip this, it removes the bitter tasting outer coating)
2 cups water
2 small zucchini, sliced
1 pint sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 tbsp Trader Joe's 22 Seasoning Salute (or any mixed seasoning blend)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (more if you'd like!)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb chicken breast
1/4-1/2 cup Annie's Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
1. Marinate your chicken breasts overnight or for a few hours. I marinated mine in a mix of balsamic vinegar (about 1/4 cup), olive oil (a few tablespoons), agave (a drizzle), liquid aminos (gluten free soy sauce, a tbsp or so), garlic salt, and pepper.
2. Grill the chicken or bake it in the oven. Allow to cool.
3. Toss the veggies with the olive oil, balsamic, and 22 Seasoning Salute. Roast at 425 until the tomatoes begin to burst and the zucchini is soft and browning. Allow the veggies to cool.
4. Rinse the quinoa. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed. (you cook quinoa just like you cook rice)
5. Mix all of the cooled ingredients together and toss with 1/4 cup of dressing. Taste the mixture and add more dressing if you'd like.
6. Salt and pepper as needed.
7. Serve topped with crumbled goat cheese.
This is just a basic recipe, but you can really use any veggies you choose! You could also eliminate the chicken to make this a vegan recipe, or serve as a side dish. This would work with any dressing, too. I bet it would be awesome with roasted tomatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, a few olives, and a Greek dressing with feta cheese!
Basically, try making your favorite pasta salad recipe, but substituting quinoa for the pasta! You'll get a nutritional boost!