Hey friends! Get Busy Living is now on Facebook!! If you're a Facebook user, click on over and "like"!
Remember this scene in "Elf"?
"You did it! World's best cup of coffee!!"
Well, allow me to introduce you to what is REALLY the "World's Best Cup of Coffee"....
Have you cold brewed coffee before? I have been doing it all summer and I'm in love!
Why cold brew?
- Cold brewed coffee is 67% less acidic than hot brewed coffee because the heat releases more chemicals than the cold brewing does.
- Cold brewed coffee, because it is less acidic, allows you to taste the more subtle flavors in your coffee rather than the bitterness often tasted in hot brews.
- Cold brewing is EASY.
This is my little cold brew set up.
1 quart sized mason jar
1 mesh strainer
1 coffee filter
1 large bowl
something to store the cold coffee in
coffee (get organic - here's why)
- Add 1 cup of coffee to 3 cups of water.
- Shake, shake, shake (dance around while shaking if you'd like - it doesn't help the flavor but it's fun)
- Let the jar sit overnight or for 10-12 hours.
- Shake the jar again.
- Place your coffee filter in the mesh strainer, which then rests on top of a bowl.
- Pour the coffee mixture into the strainer and allow it to drain into the bowl.
What you have left is not just coffee - it's coffee concentrate. This liquid is stronger than regular coffee, which makes it perfect for iced coffee! I mix 6 oz coffee concentrate with 2 oz of water and 2 oz of milk. It's awesome!
One batch of concentrate gives me about 4 cups of coffee. I usually do 2 batches at a time though. You could probably make larger batches too, just stick with the 1:3 ratio!
Store the coffee concentrate in the fridge! You can also heat it up and drink it like a regular cup of hot coffee - it tastes so much better than heat brewed!
I first read about cold brewing at The Yummy Life - check out her post for more details!