Five on Friday
1. Tomorrow I'm running the Rock 'n' Roll USA Half Marathon in DC!!!! This is exciting because this race was my first half marathon last year. The funny thing is, as I'm typing this it is Thursday - and I haven't planned my outfit or packed or made a packing list. I can tell I'm getting "used to" this whole distance race thing now!! This time last year I was FREAKING OUT. I had read and reread all of the pre-race info (and highlighted it), I had a huge packing list, and I was stalking the weather. Ok - I've been stalking the weather all week this time, too. (it's supposed to be in the 60s and partly cloudy - woot woot!!!)
2. Pre-sale for 2 fabulous Boston Strong tees ends soon. You can order the gray "strong" tee (with matching Sweaty Band!!) from Another Mother Runner (which, btw, is one of my favorite podcasts to listen to while running!). Also, Fellow Flowers has a bright blue tee that says "You cannot destroy the will of a runner" that is super cute. I bought that one!
3. In an effort to pack some extra nutrition in during race week, I've been making green smoothies every day this week. If you want to freak out a group of 5th graders, drink a green smoothie. My students are totally fascinated by them and have been asking every day what I make them with! A few have even tried them at home - woohoo!! I made a totally gross looking one on Wednesday that was the BEST tasting. Spinach, coconut milk, half a banana, Tera's Whey Coffee Protein Powder, cocoa powder, and Stevia. YUM!!!
4. I've been back at the chiropractor the past few weeks and I am loving it!!! Dr. T (at ChiroDynamics for you local friends) is awesome! He is more than just a back cracker - in fact the adjustment is probably the least important part of the visit. I get muscle stimulation and moist heat first, then he does massage. This is not your spa-like massage, either. It's just what I wanted - get in there with an elbow and do not mess around. He's also given me a whole mess of stretches to help with my hip tightness - which of course I do every day. (not really...but I should)
5. Ok so the "big news" is....I changed my registration for next year's Baltimore Running Festival to the FULL MARATHON. EEEEEKKK!!!! I had really decided 2014 was NOT going to be the year of the 26.2 for me. But, I've been feeling AWESOME this round of half marathon training. I haven't had to KT Tape or use crazy amounts of ice after my long runs. I'm not even usually sore after them, so I'm thinking my body might be okay with the 26.2 training. I decided on Baltimore for a few reasons:
- it's semi-local (there is a Light Rail that makes transportation easy and spending the night unnecessary)
- I ran half of the course in October and loved it.
- The crowd support was AWESOME in Baltimore! The last mile or 2 was completely packed with people cheering - it still gives me chills to think about it!
- It was only $20 more to increase my registration.
- I had 2 friends run it as their first full in October and 1 friend run it in a Dunkin Donuts coffee costume - so I know that while it is a challenging course, it's not off the charts ridiculous.
- My 2014 word of the year is FIERCE and I'm pretty sure running a marathon is a pretty fierce goal.
So there you have it - 5 random things from life lately!
I'll be back next week with a race recap - and hopefully a PR!